Saturday, September 01, 2007

Mirasol - A Fair Trade Project

Has anyone else seen this in their local John Lewis? Apparently its an exclusive. I just love it! Poor Julia in Nottingham's yarn department didn't know what to say as I gushed at her yesterday! The books and yarns are destributed by Designer Yarns, those behind Noro, DB and Louisa Harding.



I bought the accompanying book, which is full of Jane Ellison's patterns. She does a lot of work with Noro, and I've never really been interested in her designs. Maybe it's that I'm not a big Noro fan. This book is gorgeous. It was £10, but if crammed full of all sorts of stuff. Cardies, jumpers, tanks, hats, some interesting sideways knit gloves, scarves. Lots of patterns. I want to show you some, but the scanner is packed away. I have my heart set on a cotton blend (following your advice Pat!) fairisle cardy. Really simple, shown in blues and pinks. The yarns include 'Miski' an aran baby llama; 'Sulka', a merino, silk and alpaca blend and 'Cotanani', a cotton and merino blend DK. There is also this beautiul variagated dk merino, called Hacho. In gorgeous shades. I bought some!


The idea is to support the children looking after alpacas in peru. A percentage (although no-where seems to say exactly what that is...) of each sale goes to building a school, amongst other things.
I think this book is great. This kind of project has a tendancy to be a bit 'earthy' in terms of design, for my taste. But this is great. Some real classic designs with a bit of interesting fair isle thrown in. And good for JL for scoring something new and interesting...

10 comments:

Batty said...

What a great idea, and the yarn is lovely!

Bezzie said...

It's even better because didn't Peru just have that ginormous earthquake? That's what prompted me to buy some!!!

Lauren said...

pretty yarn!

Linda said...

The yarn is nice and I like the look of the cardi pattern too.

Anonymous said...

I love the scoop neck vest, I am sure Jazz will too. Trying to keep out of town, too tempting!

cranberry said...

Ack! Omigod, I love that scoop neck vest!

I must have a butchers in JL tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful yarn!
And, the book sounds great!

All the best to you in your new job, Nell! Keep us posted.

Amanda (gr8aunt)

Anonymous said...

I love the colors! I have some Koigu that has similar hues, but that is just lovely.

Annie said...

Very cool. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nell,
How is your new job going? I'm looking into things for your last box at the moment - any other colours you love apart from brown? ANy notions you need?
I hope you are happy and well
CG xxx