Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Seven Things

I was tagged, ages ago, and I can't even remember who by. Sorry to whoever it was, but I finally have some time whilst some samples are cooling (from 580 degrees c!) in the lab. I hope these are things you didn't know....
1. I am relatively interested in cars. I have to qualify that, I am not a weekend machanic by any stretch! I have a vague knowledge of how they work, but, my interest is purely an aesthetic one. Many people would sniff at that, but I think it's a totally fair standpoint. Nothing beats a well designed German classic for example. James an I aspire to have one of these one day. I'll let him worry about the specifics. I also saw a Bugatti Veyron in the village where Mont lives at the weekend. Apparently you can count on two hands how many of these are in the UK. When I left uni, I bought this beauty. In all reports, the Vauxhall Calibra (A Cavalier underneath) was not a great car. But I'll gloss over that. She is a thing of beauty. I no longer have her, she slowly disintigrated. However, every time I see one on the road I pine. My totally reliable VW pales in comparison, in terms of looks.


2. Following on from that, I enjoy a weekend at the touring cars. We live near one of the best circuts in th UK, Donington Park.

3. I really enjoy dressmaking. I haven't done any since starting this blog, but I made this one. Just mine I hasten to add, not all 5! It also became a tradition to make my balldresses whilst at uni. I am an impatient seemstress though, and I am keen to improve the quality of my finishing.


4. You probably know that I am a PhD student, I work in poultry nutrition. However, I also have a BSc in Nutritional Biochemistry.

5. Although I work in agriculture and live in the midlands, I am, technically, a Londoner. I am fiercely proud of my background, the way and place I was brought up taught me many wonderful things. Just don't expect me to ever go back and live there.
6. When I was 19, I spent two months on a whistlestop journey around the world, with my first love, Mackenzie. We spent our gap year working hard, and carefully saving. We then went to Thailand, Indonesia, Australia and then America on the way home. These are some of the happiest memories of my whole life and will stay with me forever. They make up for the holiday we had the year before in Mexico where we had dyssentry and were then nearly killed in a minibus crash. Yes, that is a story for another day.
7. Between the ages of 20 and 23 I wore a fixed brace on my teeth. This was all done free on the NHS and I am eternally grateful. For that (and the fact that breast screening and immediate action by the NHS saved my mother's life, again another story!) I will not hear a bad word said against the NHS (although, let's not get into that arguement here, I know they have their minuses). The reason I had to wait until I was 20 is I have an irrational fear of needles. I had to go through careful sedation and all sorts to have teeth removed.
So there you go, I hope you now know 7 new things about Nell!

5 comments:

dancingnic said...

Hey Nell! Your seven things are brilliant! I love learning random facts about people!

How are you coping since the end of Ugly Betty! What a BRILLIANT season finale!

Anonymous said...

You made that dress? OH MY GOODNESS! I bow to your sewing greatness! I have had vague notions of making a dress for a wedding I'm going to in Norway soon, partly based on this lovely swishy skirt one of my fellow students has, but as it's now only 5 weeks away (5 weeks - eek!) I'm not sure if it's going to happen...

Unknown said...

Awesome!

You'll enjoy this article, maybe...

http://www.slate.com/id/2152895/

cranberry said...

Cool!

Nice to know other random things about people!

I need to travel more.

Annie said...

Great post! I was excited that I knew some of that stuff! :)